For public relations professionals, whether external contractors or in-house, efficiency and productivity are essential. One of the best ways of keeping on top of things is to build a toolbox of as many virtual tools as possible to simplify, streamline, analyze or automate the many things you have to keep on top of in a PR role. There are hundreds of such tools to choose from, so here is a rundown of five of our favorite virtual tools for public relations professionals.
- Boomerang – An email productivity booster with versions compatible with Gmail and Outlook, as well as Android and iOS devices. Features include scheduling emails to send at optimal times, snoozing incoming messages, handy read receipts, and follow-up reminders if a recipient doesn’t respond to your PR
- PressReader – This is a “virtual newspaper kiosk” that provides online access to full replicas of over 7,000 top print publications from over 120 countries. This can be a good way for PR pros to monitor print newspapers and magazines for mentions of your client or brand – you can create feeds for specific topics, set up email alerts and even share print articles to your social media accounts.
- HARO – Help a Reporter Out, the gold standard for many PR pros. This is a popular and invaluable tool that connects journalists researching stories with trusted expert sources. It’s a great way for public relations professionals to position a client or brand as a subject matter expert or thought leader in their particular field or industry.
- RocketReach – This is a connection tool that lets you look up email addresses, phone numbers, and social media links for over 250 million professionals across six million companies. It can be a useful tool for quickly finding contact details for journalists, and can be less expensive and easier to use than some of the more extensive journalist and media databases for PR
- Buffer – An excellent social media management tool is essential for a public relations Buffer is one of the best tools of its type – it’s easy to use and includes all the features you would expect, such as scheduling posts across various social media platforms and a full suite of analytics.
There are lots of great virtual tools out there that can make life easier for PR pros – by building up a comprehensive suite of such tools, you can streamline your processes, gain deeper insights and ultimately make your PR campaigns more successful.