Your brand’s reputation is one of the most important assets it has, and it’s vital to maintain a good reputation online. Online reputation management can serve many functions including helping customers find you, promoting new products or services, supporting brand messaging and even to combat negative information. It’s essential that brands monitor their reputation daily, as well as try to boost their reputation regularly. Here are nine best practices for online reputation management:
- Maximize content – Maximizing your content is one of the best ways to contribute to your reputation online. Make sure to create content that speaks to your audience and gives them engaging information and insights.
- Social media – Social media is a direct line of communication to your customer. Take advantage of that and create a social media strategy that helps boost your reputation. Make sure that sales posts are at a minimum here, as followers will leave if they feel like they’re only seeing sales pitches.
- SEO – Part of content creation is search engine optimization (SEO). All websites and landing pages should be reviewed, and keywords should be integrated. A great way to increase SEO performance is to write content that answers questions. This will help delivering rankings and allow the company to move up in search results.
- Press releases – Press releases over wire syndicates like Businesswire can support brand exposure and spread positive stories about your brand. Not only that, but then they become searchable allowing people to find and read them online.
- Media coverage – Ideally press releases, along with media outreach, will lead to earned media coverage. This will get your brand into the news stream with positive stories and position your brand as a leader in your industry.
- Social promotion – Social media ads can be created around positive earned media coverage to drive more people to the press outlet’s website to increase the views and link clicks – helping them gain search prominence. These earned media placements can also be shared on your owned media channels.
- Customer experience and support – While promotion is great, it’s important to know that a good customer experience and top-notch customer support are vital. This will help avoid or manage any negative comments found online.
- Google My Business – So many people use Google to find companies and get information; it’s a good idea to pay attention to these types of online spaces. Google My Business allows companies to monitor reviews and gives them the opportunity to update their listing.
- Social listening – Engaging with a social listening tool can help brands stay on top of what’s being said about them online. If someone leaves a positive note you can thank them, and if a customer writes a negative review you can address their concerns right away.
Managing your rep
Information can spread at lightning speeds online, so keeping a watchful eye on your brand’s reputation is a must. By using the best practices above not only will you be able to know what people are saying about your brand, but you’ll be able to help cultivate a positive online reputation, building brand awareness and loyalty.